All workers using propane equipment should be provided with a 250 mm (10 in) adjustable wrench and a 19 mm to 15.9 mm (3/4 to 5/8 in) box-end wrench.
- Make sure all connections, unions and fittings are sound and clean before assembling.
- Tighten the threaded pressure regulator coupling on propane containers with the proper-sized wrench in counter-clockwise direction. Avoid finger-tight connections because they will usually leak, waste gas and be a constant source of danger.
- Handle the pressure regulator with care. It is a sensitive instrument and will not function properly if damaged. Damaged regulators should never be used.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommended gas pressures and operating instructions. Never interfere with the settings of factory pre-set pressure regulators.
- Make sure that hoses are sound and that all hose clips and union nuts are fully tightened.
- Handle propane cylinders with care. When not used, both empty and full cylinders should be stored in a shaded, specified location away from flammable materials and protected against damage and vandalism. Container valves must be closed tightly. Protective collars or caps must be in place.
- With the exception of cylinders designed for horizontal use, all cylinders must be used and stored in an upright position so that the safety relief valve will be open to the vapour space above the liquid gas.
- Never place full or empty propane containers below ground level unless it is absolutely necessary. Propane is heavier than air and, if a leak occurs, the gas will seek the lowest possible level and collect in such places as trenches, excavations and basements.
- Never attempt to heat a propane container other than with an approved tank heating device/system designed for use with vapour-withdrawal cylinders.
- A propane burner system should be tested for leaks before being put into use. Never test for possible leaks with a flame. Soapy water brushed over connections and fittings should be used to test for leakage. If there is a leak, the gas supply must be immediately turned off at the container.