Tools may be used at shop or on-site. Some general safety rules for the use of common hand tools include:
- Be sure that guards are in place and operative on all power tools.
- Be sure all electrical tools are grounded before using them.
- Ask how to use a piece of equipment or a tool if you don’t know how.
- Use the machine or tool designed for the job.
- Do not force the tool.
- Shut off gasoline-powered equipment before refuelling.
- Use safety cans for gasoline.
- Always turn off a machine when repairing or cleaning.
- Turn in defective tools and equipment for repair.
It is a good idea to mark all your tools for identification and after every day’s work, collect all your own tools and put them away.