- Wear proper clothing: non-synthetic fabrics, long-sleeve shirts, long pants, boots, gloves, and proper eye protection.
- Keep other crew members at least 3 m (10 ft) from open flames.
- Warn your co-workers about the dangers of torching.
- Do not take anything for granted. Be on guard against lapses in on-the-job safety.
- A fire watch shall be conducted by properly trained personnel and includes checking the roof surface, underside of roof deck and concealed attic spaces for any signs of fire or smouldering.
REPORT ALL FIRES TO THE FIRE DEPARTMENT, EVEN THOSE THAT ARE EXTINGUISHED QUICKLY. THERE MAY STILL BE FIRE AND/OR SMOULDERING IN AREAS WHERE A ROOFER MAY NOT THINK TO LOOK